Austrian Wine hospitality campaign has started
Over the past few decades, no other crisis has had such a significant impact on the activity of all sectors as the current coronavirus situation. However, it is hospitality that has emerged as one of the hardest hit industries. This situation has also had an extreme impact on wine sales: prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, more than 50% of all domestic wine sales were generated by the hospitality industry. Austrian Wine has therefore committed to the goal of extensively promoting wine sales in the on-trade sector once the severe coronavirus restrictions have been lifted. This diverse campaign is conducted in three phases.
Until the reopening of the hospitality industry in Austria, social media such as Facebook, Instagram, etc. are used to get consumers excited about drinking a glass of Austrian wine in their favourite venue again. Activities that encourage interaction – involving winemakers, sommeliers and restaurateurs – will play a central role here. For example, restaurateurs will recommend wine and food pairings on Instagram to whet consumers’ appetite for their delicious food, wine and cordial hospitality.
The core phase of the campaign consists of two promotions. Firstly, Austrian Wine focuses on domestic restaurateurs and awards those who come up with the best concepts centring on the theme of “Österreich glasweise” (Austria by the glass). For these awards, a jury of industry experts will determine the best concepts in three different categories, based on a comprehensive set of criteria. This initiative is designed to encourage restaurateurs across Austria to develop enticing ideas to promote the consumption of domestic wine, therefore growing sales of Austrian wine by the glass.
Secondly, for the “pull” part of the strategy, a promotion called Österreich Wein lädt ein (an invitation from Austrian wine) will revolve around encouraging consumers to enjoy Austrian wine with their food when dining out. Every day during the month of July 2021, Austrian Wine will cover 10 restaurant tabs if the wine on the bill is exclusively Austrian.
The goal of both of these promotions is to encourage wine consumption in moderation when eating out. Achieving this relies on hospitality venues having an exciting range of high-quality wines on offer, combined with increased demand among consumers.
The last phase will be the most extensive of the entire campaign. Firstly, Austrian Wine will provide even greater support for individuals wishing to train as a Jung-Sommelier (junior sommelier) or take advanced training to become a Sommelier Österreich (Austrian sommelier). Secondly, individual tutorials will also be developed to help restaurateurs grow their wine revenue. In addition, Austrian Wine is aiming to host its own Austrian Sommelier Summit in 2022, which will offer Austrian sommeliers an exclusive and high-level opportunity to come together.
Like last year, wine tourism is set to play a key role in Austrian Wine’s activities in 2021. Last year’s successful Auf zum Wein (all aboard for wine) campaign will be continued, with the aim that the interaction and cooperation between various partners in the tourism industry will create further synergies.
After an immensely sobering 2020/21 winter season, Austrian Wine will be getting targeted initiatives, cooperative activities and point-of-sale promotions on the road from November 2021, in time for the coming winter. The winter season is enormously important for wine sales too, with the goal of making up lost ground from the previous months.
- More than 50% of all domestic wine sales were generated by the hospitality industry pre-Covid-19
- Almost total loss of the sales channel since the outbreak of the pandemic
- With a three-phase initiative, Austrian Wine whets the appetite for Austrian wine in restaurants, bars, Heurigen etc.
Activities on social media, involving winemakers, sommeliers and restaurateurs, aim at interaction with the users and getting them excited for the reopening.
Push strategy: Contest „Österreich glasweise“
- Target group: restaurateurs
- Aim: being an impulse for creative by-the-glass concepts
- Restaurateurs submit their concepts at österreichwein.at/oesterreich-glasweise
- The best will be awarded
- A jury of industry experts will determine the best concepts in different categories
Pull strategy: contest „Österreich Wein lädt ein“
- Target group: customers
- Aim: encourage wine consumption in moderation when eating out
- Guests send their restaurant bills to Austrian wine – via e-mail or österreichweinlädtein.at
- Every day during the month of July 2021, Austrian Wine will cover 10 restaurant tab
- Prerequisite: only Austrian wine was consumed
More intense support of training opportunities for professionals
Austrian Sommelier Summit 2022
- Exclusive meeting of the Austrian sommelier scene
- Successful campaign „Auf zum Wein“ will be continued
- Interaction and cooperation between various partners in the tourism industry will create further synergies
Winter season 2021/22
- The winter season is enormously important for wine sales
- Targeted initiatives aim at making up lost ground
- Point-of-sale promotions