Known as Brathendl, roast chicken remains one of Austria's favourite dishes, with regional specialities ranging from tender corn-fed chicken to the imperial delicacy of Sulm Valley capon.
- Grüner Veltliner in a dry and fresh style pairs very well with roast chicken.
- Riesling (medium-bodied) style pairs remarkably well with white meat.
- Alternative choices might include a Gemischter Satz, fruity Zierfandler and a vibrant Pinot Blanc.
- During the summer, or at lunch time, a rosé or Schilcher rosé are ideal.
- It is not only the Styrians that opt for a pleasant Morillon (Chardonnay) or a Sauvignon Blanc with their roast chicken.
- The Sulmtal capon with a single-vineyard Gelber Muskateller is a real treat.