The Austrian Wine "Sommelier Competition" entered the next round. In Spring 2023 we travelled to Hoboken (New Jersey) & Raleigh (North Carolina). During a scavenger hunt, we determined one winner per city, who won a trip to Austria. The competition was open to all sommeliers & wine professionals.
27 March 2023
11.00 am - 2.00 pm
- Blind Tasting of three wines.
- Scavenger hunt featuring two stops around Hoboken. Questions were asked at each location (multiple choice and/or fill-ins on a map i.e. DAC grapes, Ried, etc.).
- Return to location & reception.
- Top three finalists announced and mock service performed where contestants were asked to pair Austrian wines with a pre-set menu tableside.
Winners & Finalists
- , FLX Hospitality, Geneva NY - Winner
- John Jansma, Per Se, NYC
- Jeremy Halker, Sushi Nakazawa, Washington DC
Jury: Jesse Becker MS & Aleks Zecevic
Main prize: trip to Austria
How do you prepare for our competition?
Step 1: Read our study guide here.
Step 2: Textbook #1 is the online training document. The questions mainly relate to this document.
Step 3: Take a look at the online preparatory seminar from February 27th, 2023 with Aleks Zecevic (scroll down). Here is the tasting list of the seminar.
Organiser: Austrian Wine & Wine & Co.
Contact: Ms Constance Chamberlain
Target Audience: Sommeliers & Trade Professionals